Child Support Arrearages Will Not Be Taken from Second Round of Stimulus Checks

father and son

At Goline & Roland Law Firm, PLLC, we know As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues, many individuals and businesses in America are still facing financial hardship. In response, Congress passed a second relief bill, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (CAA), to jumpstart the economy.

Recovery Rebate Amounts

The new legislation, which President Donald Trump signed into law on December 27, 2020, expands on many of the provisions enumerated in the CARES Act that was passed earlier in 2020. One program that has been expanded on is the distribution of Economic Impact Payments (stimulus checks) to individuals and families.

The second round of stimulus checks provides $600 for single taxpayers, $1,200 for joint taxpayers, and $600 for each dependent child. The amount begins to phase out based on the filer's adjusted gross income. The IRS will automatically deliver Economic Impact Payments to eligible individuals. For more information about the stimulus checks, please visit the IRS's website.

Child Support Arrears and Stimulus Checks

"Can a stimulus check be used for back child support?" In April of 2020, we posted a blog discussing how, under the CARES Act, anyone who owed back child support would receive a reduced stimulus check or no check at all.

Can Child Support Take My Stimulus Check? 

You may be wondering, "will child support take my second stimulus check?" the CAA differs from the previous piece of legislation in that child support arrearages will not be taken from the second round of stimulus checks. Provisions in the CAA prohibit levies and garnishments for past due debts. Thus, if you owe back child support, you will receive a stimulus check as part of the second disbursement without arrears being factored into your recovery amount. If you are in need of family law attorneys, contact us today for the legal help you need.

If you're involved in a child support or other family law matter in Denton, contact  Goline & Roland Law Firm at (940) 400-0475 for legal help.

Related Posts
  • What Expenses Does Child Support Cover? Read More
  • Mediation vs. Litigation in Divorce Read More
  • Do I Have to Pay Child Support if My Ex Won’t Let Me See My Kids? Read More