Over Three Decades of Combined Experience Working for You
Denton Domestic Violence Lawyer
Defending Against Domestic Violence Charges in Texas
At Goline & Roland Law Firm, our commitment to justice extends to every corner of the legal field. We are here to ensure you receive the legal representation you deserve regarding domestic violence cases. If you or a loved one are facing domestic violence charges in Denton, Texas, you need a skilled Denton domestic violence lawyer to advocate tirelessly.
Call Goline & Roland Law Firm today at (940) 400-0475 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our domestic violence attorney in Denton!
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is a complex and sensitive legal issue that encompasses a range of abusive behaviors within the context of a domestic relationship. This can involve spouses, former spouses, family members, or individuals who share a household. Domestic violence is not limited to physical harm; it can manifest in various forms, such as:
- Physical Abuse: This includes any physical harm or the threat of harm, such as hitting, slapping, pushing, or restraining an individual against their will.
- Emotional and Psychological Abuse: Domestic violence can involve emotional or psychological manipulation, including verbal threats, intimidation, or control tactics that cause emotional distress.
- Sexual Abuse: Non-consensual sexual acts or sexual coercion within a domestic relationship constitute sexual Abuse.
- Financial Abuse involves controlling a partner's finances, restricting access to money, or sabotaging their economic independence.
- Stalking: Repeated and unwanted behaviors aimed at monitoring, harassing, or intimidating a domestic partner can also constitute domestic violence.
What are the Penalties for Domestic Violence in Texas?
The penalties for domestic violence in Texas are severe and can vary depending on the case's specifics. Convictions can result in consequences that affect every aspect of your life, including your freedom, family, and future. These penalties may include:
- Criminal Charges: Domestic violence offenses can lead to criminal charges, such as assault, battery, or harassment, depending on the circumstances of the incident.
- Protective Orders: Courts may issue protective orders, also known as restraining orders, to keep the alleged offender away from the victim. Violating these can lead to additional charges.
- Criminal Record: A domestic violence conviction can result in a permanent mark on your criminal record, which can have far-reaching consequences, including difficulty finding employment, housing, and more.
- Loss of Parental Rights: In cases involving child abuse, a conviction can lead to the termination of parental rights or restricted access to your children.
- Probation: In some cases, individuals convicted of domestic violence may face probation with strict conditions, such as mandatory counseling and anger management programs.
- Jail or Prison Time: More severe cases can result in significant jail or prison sentences, ranging from a few months to several years.
Understanding that every case is unique and the penalties can vary based on the specific details and evidence presented is crucial. To navigate this complex legal landscape, having a knowledgeable and experienced Denton domestic violence lawyer on your side is essential.
Defenses Against Domestic Violence Charges
Being accused of domestic violence does not automatically make you guilty. In our justice system, you are innocent until proven otherwise. Our experienced domestic violence lawyers at Goline & Roland Law Firm will explore every possible defense strategy, which may include:
- False Accusations: It is not uncommon for false accusations to be made out of anger, revenge, or miscommunication. Our team will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations.
- Self-Defense: Sometimes, a person may have acted in self-defense to protect themselves or others from harm. We will investigate the situation to determine if this applies to your case.
- Lack of Evidence: If the prosecution lacks the necessary evidence to support their claims, we will work to have the charges reduced or dropped entirely.
- Violation of Rights: If your rights were violated during your arrest or investigation, it may be possible to have evidence excluded from your case or have the charges dismissed.
- Mistaken Identity: Sometimes, a victim mistakenly identifies the wrong person as the perpetrator. We will examine the evidence to challenge these identifications.
Contact Our Denton Domestic Violence Attorney Today
Facing domestic violence charges in Denton, Texas, is a severe and potentially life-altering situation. At Goline & Roland Law Firm, our team of experienced Denton domestic violence lawyers is dedicated to providing you with a solid and effective defense. Our attorneys understand the nuances of domestic violence cases and will work to ensure you receive fair treatment under the law.
If you or a loved one are dealing with domestic violence charges, don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to listen, advise, and advocate for your best interests. With Goline & Roland Law Firm on your side, you'll have a dedicated legal team fighting for your future.
Contact Goline & Roland Law Firm today to schedule a consultation with our domestic violence lawyer in Denton!